Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A Fine Rare Wine Experience

Despite being a member of the wine trade, it is not often that one gets to drink fine rare wines. One of my brothers very kindly gave my husband and I three bottles of Paul Jaboulet La Chapelle Hermitage as a wedding present, '82,83, 85. Last Saturday night we took the plunge and cracked open the 82 , chez my parents in County Tipperary.. Wow is all that I can say, a sublime experience. We drank it with simply cooked roast pork with a sprig of rosemary, roasted veggie and roast potatoes. " A masculine and muscular wine, brown with a rusty hue, quite opaque. medium plus intensity on the nose with lively notes of brown sugar, caramel and christmas cake. Sweet and ripe smelling - a joy! Good acidity, with notes of sour cherries and well integrated tannins. Impressive long length. This wine has another ten years, incredible seeing that the critics say it should be drunk now! Excellent".

Oh dear, I can see yet another expensive habit forming!

No comments: